Strong third quarter leads Lions to victory

Basketball Action

BY LINDA JACOBS, Enterprise staff
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LIVINGSTON—A crucial third quarter proved to be the difference in the Livingston Lions 60-57 win over the visiting Huffman-Hargrave Falcons Tuesday night at Lion gym.

The two teams traded quarters in the first half. The Lions jumped out 17-11 in the first frame behind an eight point performance by Jaquavious Nickson who finished with 12 in the game. Teammate Jermichael Harrell, who finished with a game high 20 points, deposited five in the opening frame for a solid start by the Lions.

The Falcons, who entered the game with a 12-3 record, recorded the same margin in the second frame and the two teams went in at the break dead even at 28-all.

The Lions managed to top the Falcons in the third quarter by pitching in three of their four treys during the game, including a pair of back-to-back treys from Noah Ortiz which put the Lions in the lead 40-35 with 3:40 left in the third and 43-37 with 3:05 on the clock.

Jermichael Harrell finished the third by scoring a couple of jumpshots to give the Lions a 47-44 lead entering the fourth quarter.

An assist from Jay Cooper to Harrell who was open under the basket extended Livingston's lead to 49-45 with 6:52 left in the fourth quarter.

The Falcons quickly answered with a 5-0 run to take the lead 50-49 with 5:37 left. A free throw by Jordan Rains, who tallied nine points in the victory, knotted the score at 50-all with 4:46 left.
Following a Falcon free throw (51-50), the Lions took the lead 52-51 on a Jordan Rains toss to Dillon Welsh at the 3:52 mark. Welsh would later toss to Nickson for a jumper in the paint to extend the lead to 54-51 with 3:28 left.

The Falcons clawed their way back in the game scoring on a layup after a Lion turnover plus an inside basket at the 1:50 mark for a 55-55 tie. The Falcons took the lead 57-55 on a layup with 1:18 left. The Lions knotted the game again when Nickson drove half the court to score a layup with :48 seconds left, 57-57.

Brandon Miller, who finished with six points, grabbed a key rebound late in the game. Miller was later fouled and went to the line and hit a crucial free throw to give the Lions a 58-57 lead with only 1.8 seconds left in the game. His second shot was intentionally missed and Harrell capped a super performance by scoring as the game clock expired to give the Lions a 60-57 win over the Falcons.