The Polk County Office of Emergency Management released the following public service announcment on Sunday, Aug. 27 at 12:30 p.m.:
TROPICAL STORM HARVEY & COUNTY ROAD CONDITIONS
According to the National Weather Service, Hurricane Harvey has weakened to a tropical storm.
At this time, Polk County is not under a Tropical Storm or Hurricane Warning; however, we remain under a Flash Flood Watch. This means that conditions may develop that lead to flash flooding. The National Weather Service estimates that our area could receive 6-15 inches of rainfall through Friday morning. The heaviest rainfall is forecasted for the southern portion of the County. Our office will continue to release information to the public as this incident progresses.
At this time, the County has not opened shelters.
The Sheriff’s Office has reported the following road conditions:
1. Taylor Lake Estates: 2610 S. of Lea Road, water over the roadway up to rims of the tires.
2. There is one flooded lane on FM 3126 near Blanchard Baptist Church.
3. Holiday Lake Estates: On River Road, there is 8-10” of water is over the roadway. On Drews Landing, there is water over the road about 1/8th of a mile from the entrance and near the spillway. On County Road, there is water over the road in several places.
4. Water is over Pecan Road due to the nearby lake overflowing. Pecan Road is impassible.
5. FM 350 S at Kate Lowe Rd. (at Florida’s Kitchen) has water over the road
6. Antioch Church Rd. at FM 350 S., Antioch Baptist Church parking lot is flooded.
South Polk County VFD has reported the following road conditions:
1. Lake Livingston Estates #3 – Leisure Lane, water is over the road, approximately 3-4 inches.
2. Big Thicket Lake Estates – Swick Trail, water over the road.
3. Water is over the road between Walters Loop and Hillbilly Heaven Road.
The local DPS Office has reported the following road conditions:
1. Kate Lowe Rd. off of S. FM 1988 has water over the road.
2. FM 1988 at Gettysburg Dr. has water over the road in area of Shiloh Ridge Subdivision.
3. FM 3278 at W. FM 1988 has water over the road.
Alabama-Coushatta VFD has reported the following road conditions:
1. Water is over the road at FM942 at Hickman Creek in the area of Parrish Road and South Clamon Road.
Goodrich VFD has reported the following road conditions:
1. Water is over the road on FM 2669.
To check TxDOT highway conditions, log onto www.DriveTexas.org.
Flood Safety Tips: In the event of severe flooding, please remember:
Turn Around, Don’t Drown! Do not drive through high water and DO NOT DRIVE AROUND BARRICADES! Just 2
feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
DO NOT WALK through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down.
STAY AWAY from streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly with little warning.
MOVE important items – especially important documents like insurance policies to the highest possible floor. This will
help protect them from flood damage.
DISCONNECT electrical appliances and do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water. You could
Please look for further updates on the Polk County, Texas website (www.co.polk.tx.us) and the Polk County Emergency
Management Facebook page (www.facebook.com/PolkCountyEmergencyManagement).
Road conditions will be updated on the Polk County Emergency Management Facebook page as we receive them.